Under the second paragraph of section 3 of the Regulation, members work in private practice when they render professional services on their own account, or for the account of another member or partnership, to clients that are not their employer.
The fields concerned by this definition are those of the kinds of works set out in sections 2 and 3 of the Engineers Act.
Members who work for a consulting engineering firm and all members who provide professional engineering services for an external clientele (e.g. self-employed consultants, building and other inspectors, members who inspect or alter vehicles, members who work in an analytical laboratory or any other expert who provides opinions on the kinds of works that constitute the field of practice of engineers) are normally considered to be working “in private practice.”
- Since April 1st, 2013, all OIQ members who work in private practice, except those who engage in occasional private practice (see the section on general practice), must subscribe to the OIQ’s group supplementary professional liability insurance plan covering any liability they may incur as a result of faults committed by them in the practice of the profession in accordance with section 3 of the Regulation respecting professional liability insurance for members of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec.
- The group supplementary insurance plan may be taken out by the members themselves or by the partnership or legal person that hires them.
- The OIQ’s group supplementary insurance plan specifically provides coverage for five years after the last service performed in private practice, even if you quit or lose your job or your employer closes or goes bankrupt.
- Junior engineers who work in private practice are also subject to these requirements.
- The services concerned are services performed in Québec (even for foreign clients) or for projects that will be carried out in Québec.
- The OIQ’s mandatory group supplementary plan covers all fields of engineering practice.
The OIQ's exclusive broker is:
BFL CANADA Risk and Insurance Inc.
2001 McGill College Avenue, Suite 2200
Montreal, Québec H3A 1G1
Tel.: 514 315-4529 or 1 833 315-4529
The insurer of the mandatory supplementary plan is Victor (forrmerly named Encon).
If you have a complaint about the group supplementary plan subscription process, please contact the OIQ by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 1 800 461-6141, extension 2467