I Have an International Degree

What do we mean by “international degree”?

If you graduated from an educational institution outside of Canada, you are on the right page to learn about the next steps that will lead to you obtaining your engineering permit in the beautiful province of Quebec.

If you obtained your engineering degree from a Canadian educational institution, you must follow different steps. Consult the section reserved for you to learn about the steps to take in your specific situation.

How to obtain your engineering permit in Quebec with an international diploma

Illustrated pathway

Do you want to see the typical steps required to become an engineer in Quebec?

I have a degree from France. What documents do I need to provide?
I have a degree from a country subject to the Washington Agreement. What documents do I need to provide?
I have a degree from a country without an agreement. What documents do I need to provide?

Special cases

For non-engineering degrees

You want to practice engineering in Quebec but do not have an engineering degree.

If you have an undergraduate degree in pure or applied science or technology that is at least equivalent to a Québec bachelor’s degree, you can apply to the OIQ for equivalence of training.

The steps to follow are the same as for people with an engineering degree, with one exception: you have a different application submission process. Here are the documents you will need to submit:

  • A completed and signed application for admission (in French).
  • A copy of your birth certificate.
  • A description of each course taken to obtain each diploma. Please note that for this document, an official translation is not required.
  • The completed Table of corresponding course descriptions and transcripts (to complete this form, you must first have obtained your course description and transcript).
  • An electronic copy of your diplomas. If this is not possible, an attestation, certified by the educational institution that issued the diploma, must be sent to us directly by the institution.
  • If applicable, a summary of your thesis, final year project, or internship for all your degrees.
  • A document demonstrating that your level of French is sufficient to practice the profession (if you studied at university in a language other than French).
  • Payment of your application fee. See the fee schedule to know the exact amount.

Request for a review of your file

Do you disagree with a decision of the OIQ regarding your application for admission? The candidate to the engineering profession (CEP) may ask the Board of Directors directly to review the conclusion of the Admission Board. If you still feel that the decision is unjustified, you may file a complaint with the Commissioner for Admission to Professions. Follow the steps below to request a review or make a complaint.

Don’t forget our informative meetings!

The OIQ regularly organizes free webinars to help you navigate the application process. Consult the Activities section to find out about upcoming dates.

Do you have any questions? Contact Us!

No matter where you are in the process of becoming a member of the OIQ, our team can help you. So don’t hesitate to contact us.

Contact the OIQ