Application for a Temporary Permit

For a limited duration

Temporary permits are issued to those wishing to practice engineering in Quebec for a limited period, on a specific project only.

It is not a shortcut to becoming a member of the OIQ. To practice engineering in Quebec and pursue it as a long-term career, you’ll need a regular permit. To obtain one, see Becoming an engineer in Quebec.

Who can apply for a temporary permit in Quebec?

Temporary permits are issued to those who want to practice engineering in Quebec on a temporary basis, for a specific project of limited duration.

Already a member of another association in Canada?

If you are already a member of another engineering association in Canada, the application procedure is different, possibly faster, and will require less administrative formalities. Please consult the Member of a Canadian Association page to find out how to obtain your permit in Quebec. To submit your first application, go to the applications home page and select the right-hand button titled “Undergraduate engineering degree obtained outside Quebec…”

How long is a temporary permit valid?

A temporary permit is valid for one year. It can be renewed as often as necessary for a specific project. However, the requirements of the Office de la langue française apply, and the candidate must therefore demonstrate sufficient knowledge of French. See the Becoming an engineer in Quebec page for the language requirements.

How do I apply for a temporary permit?

You must complete the temporary permit application form and send it to us by e-mail: [email protected]

You can also send it by mail to:

Temporary permits
Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec
1801 McGill College Avenue, 6th floor
Montreal (Quebec) H3A 2N4

Professional Liability Insurance

All engineers are required to carry professional liability insurance. Depending on your type of practice, you may be required to subscribe to the group complementary professional liability insurance plan in addition to the group professional liability insurance plan. The group complementary professional liability insurance is managed exclusively through the OIQ’s broker.


Any questions?

Do you need more information about the temporary permit or instructions on how to get one?

Contact us