I Have a Degree From Canada

What is a Canadian degree?

This page is intended for those who have obtained a bachelor’s degree in engineering (or related field) from a Canadian institution (outside of Quebec) that is recognized by the Engineers Canada Accreditation Board (ECAB).

If you are already a member of a Canadian engineering association, please visit the I am a member of a Canadian association page.

If you obtained your engineering degree in Quebec or another country, please return to the menu and consult the pages reserved for your specific situation.

The steps to obtain your permit in Quebec

Virtual information sessions

To better understand the steps involved in applying to the OIQ, attend our free virtual information sessions. Some sessions are offered in English.

View the illustrated path

This is what a typical path to obtaining your engineering permit in Quebec looks like.

Documents you must provide for admission

  • A completed and signed application form.
  • A copy of your birth certificate or other official proof of identity (e.g., passport, national identity card).
  • A transcript for each degree you are submitting in support of your application. These must be sent by the institution directly to the OIQ.
  • If a degree was obtained five or more years before application, you must demonstrate current knowledge by submitting one of the following documents:
    • A graduate degree in engineering or a field related to the undergraduate degree and its corresponding transcript. Note that the transcript must be sent directly to the OIQ by the institution (electronic format only) and that the degree must have been earned within the last five years.
    • An email from an employee of the institution issuing the undergraduate degree confirming that the program content is consistent with what is currently offered to the student community.
    • A certification of experience for a job held by the applicant within the last five years. Note that only one year of experience is sufficient if it is related to the field of study of the undergraduate degree.
  • Completed Certification of Engineering Experience Acquired in Canada or Certification of Engineering Experience Acquired Outside Canada.
  • The payment of your application fees. See the fee schedule for the exact.

Special cases

Working in Quebec without an engineering degree

You want to work as an engineer in Quebec but you don’t have an engineering degree? If you have an undergraduate degree in pure or applied science or technology at least equivalent to a Quebec bachelor’s degree, you can apply to the OIQ for a training equivalence.

Those with a degree in an engineering-related field go through the same steps to become an engineer as those who have an engineering degree, except they will need to provide more documentation upon admission. Here are the documents you will need to submit:

  • A completed and signed application for admission.
  • A copy of your birth certificate.
  • A transcript of grades (sent by the school).
  • A description of each course taken to obtain each diploma. Please note that for this document, an official translation is not required.
  • Le Tableau de concordance des descriptifs de cours(in French). To complete this form, you must first have obtained your course description and your transcript.
  • An electronic copy of your diplomas. If this is not possible, an attestation, certified by the educational institution that issued the diploma, must be sent to us directly by the institution.
  • If applicable, the summary of your thesis, final year project or internship for all of your degrees.
  • A document demonstrating that you have appropriate knowledge of French for the practice of the profession (if your university studies were in English).
  • Payment of your application fee. See the fee schedule for the exact amount to pay.

Request a review of your file

Do you disagree with a decision of the OIQ regarding your application for admission? A candidate to the engineering profession (CEP) may ask the Board of Directors directly to review the result of the Admission to Practice committee. If you still feel that the decision is unjustified, you may file a complaint with the Commissioner for Admission to Professions.

Do you have any questions?

No matter where you are in the process of becoming a member of the OIQ, our team can help you.

Contact us