How to Change your Status

Retirement, disability or voluntary departure

You can remain a member of the OIQ and retain your Eng. designation even if you retire or become permanently disabled. Depending on the case and subject to certain conditions, you may retain your active membership, opt for retired or permanently disabled status, or give up your membership.

Your membership fees and obligations are then adjusted to reflect your new status.

I am retiring

You can apply for a retired membership statusby completing the form below. The retired membership status exempts you from continuing education requirements and allows you to pay a reduced annual membership fee.

To be eligible for the retired membership status, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be a licensed professional engineer
  • Be at least 60 years old
  • Have ceased all professional engineering activities* and have ceased or reduced all other professional activities
  • Do not work more than 30 hours per week or 1,560 hours per year
  • Do not offer or perform pre-purchase inspection services, even on a volunteer basis

As soon as your new status is confirmed, the continuing education exemption will be granted automatically. You will then pay a new annual fee adapted to your status.

*Professional engineering activities are those that constitute the practice of engineering as defined in section 1.1 of the Engineering Act. They include activities reserved for engineers, but also activities that are not reserved for engineers, such as engineering project management.

I have a permanent disability

If you have been diagnosed with a permanent disability, you can apply for a change of status. First, you must receive a disability pension from the Quebec Pension Plan. Then, you must send us a proof of disability by email ([email protected]). Finally, you must complete the exemption request form (in french only).

When your permanent disability member status is confirmed by the OIQ, you are exempt from continuing education obligations and you benefit from reduced membership fees.

I want to end my membership with the OIQ

You may request that your name be removed from the OIQ’s roll. In this case, you will no longer be able to carry out activities reserved for members of the OIQ and will no longer be able to use the title of Engineer. If you decide not to renew your registration on the roll or if you wish to apply to reactivate your status as an active member, please go to your portal, under the “Requests” tab.



Certain obligations may apply when you cease to practice. See our page on cessation of practice to learn more about them.