Classification: statutory committeeComposition
The Arbitration Council is composed of 3 arbitrators when the amount in dispute is $10,000 or more, and one arbitrator when it is lower than $10,000. The Executive Committee decides the length of the term of office served by the arbitrators, which is two years.Responsibilities
· Carry out the arbitration process for an engineer’s account when conciliation failed to achieve an agreement between the parties; and
· Schedule hearings and carry out the proceedings of the dispute.
Council members must:
- be OIQ members;
- have been registered on the OIQ's roll for 10 years;
- be interested in the conciliation and arbitration of accounts;
- have training or experience in arbitration;
- not hold any office at a professional engineering association;
- not have been the subject of any disciplinary decision under sections 45.1, 55, 55.1 or 55.2 of the Professional Code.
Chair and secretary
When the council comprises 3 arbitrators, it is the OIQ President’s responsibility to appoint the chair and the secretary.