Specific project 
Ordre des ingénieurs du Quebec
Lancer la recherche


    OIQ_InternetHomeI amCandidate - Obtaining a permitTemporary permitsSpecific project

    Temporary Permit for a Specific Project 

    Several laws and regulations govern professional practice in Québec. The engineering profession is no exception. In fact, the Professional Code, the Engineers Act, the Charter of the French Language and several regulations govern the professional activities of engineers. This legal framework is centred on the same principle: protection of the public.

    If you want to practice engineering in Québec in a specific project, the OIQ can grant you a temporary permit on the conditions set by the Board of Directors under section 41 of the Professional Code and in accordance with the provisions of sections 35, 37 and 38 of the Charter of the French Language.

    Although temporary permits are available to all, they are specifically intended for people who are not members of a Canadian association since they are not covered by a mobility agreement and have to follow a different procedure.

    You are a member of a Canadian association

    If you are a member of a Canadian association, the requirements and deadlines for obtaining a regular permit are roughly the same as those for obtaining a temporary permit. Unlike temporary permits, regular permits are not limited to a specific project and allow you to practice the engineering profession in Québec. For these reasons, we encourage you to apply for a regular permit under the regulations in force. 

    For more information, contact the Admissions and Permits Department by calling 1 800 461-6141, ext. 2398, or by sending an e-mail to sac@oiq.qc.ca.

    To obtain a temporary permit

    A temporary permit is issued on an ad hoc and exceptional basis for a specific project and a limited period of time, which is generally one year (the maximum period of time). The OIQ may renew the permit up to three times on certain conditions. Accordingly, no one with a temporary permit may practice engineering in Québec longer than 48 months.


    To apply for a temporary permit, read the following document:

    Temporary Permit Application Form

    You must fill out the Temporary Permit Application Form and the required appendices and return it to the following address:

    Temporary permits
    Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec
    1801, avenue Mc Gill College, 6 floor
    Montreal, Québec H3A 2N4

    Please note that any questions sent to this email address will not be seen or responded to. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service at 514-845-6141, option 1, 1-800-461-6141, option 1 or by email at sac@oiq.qc.ca.

    Permit applications will not be submitted to the Executive Committee unless all documents have been provided, all conditions have been met and all fees have been paid.


    Was this content useful?


    Gare Windsor, bureau 350
    1100, avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal
    Montréal (Québec) H3B 2S2

    1 514 845-6141
    Toll free : 1 800 461-6141