Student Award of Merit
Each year, a contest is organized to reward three members of the OIQ Student Section who have distinguished themselves by their social commitment while excelling in their engineering studies at a Québec university. The candidates must write a short essay on the topic of The professional responsibility of engineers.
At the time of application, candidates must:
- Be members in good standing of the OIQ Student Section Have a minimum of 60 credits or more
- Be enrolled fulltime in an undergraduate engineering program
- Full-time students and part-time students taking the remaining courses needed to complete an undergraduate degree
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3 on a 4-point scale, or the equivalent.
The winners receive a cash prize as well as a plaque commemorating their award at an official ceremony.
1st prize: $7,500 2nd prize: $5,000 3rd prize: $3,000
The cash prize will be remitted in two payments: 75% upon receipt of the Award and 25% upon registration on the roll of the OIQ.
A call for applications is launched at each campus.
Applications must include the following:
- The application form, duly completed, available only on the OIQ Website
- A recent curriculum vitæ
- An essay on the topic of The professional responsibility of engineers in the field of engineering studied (maximum 500 words)
- An original transcript issued at the time of the application (faxed or e-mailed copies and Internet transcripts are not accepted).
Each application will be evaluated according to the fundamental values of the profession. Three criteria will be examined:
- Social contribution (community, university and/or other): 40%
- Academic achievement: 30%
- Quality of the essay: 30%
One finalist is selected by a jury at each university. A provincial jury than selects the three winners from among the applications submitted by the universities.
- Faxes, e-mails and Internet transcripts are not accepted.
- Selected candidates must be residents of Quebec. The address appearing on the transcript will serve as proof of residency.
- A prizewinner may not reapply for the Student Award of Merit.
- Examination results must be available at the time of application.
- The OIQ reserves the right not to award the prizes.
Campus OIQ Representative
Each engineering department or school has a faculty representative for the OIQ. This engineering professor can provide additional information about the Student Award of Merit and answer any other questions you may have about your future professional order. To know more about your representative, click here.