FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS1. Why did the OIQ withdraw from these plans?
The OIQ decided to withdraw from these plans as a result of the decision to refocus its activities on its core mission that is, protecting the public. Offering group personal insurance plans is not part of this mission.
2. Why didn't the OIQ withdraw from these plans earlier?
Once it became aware of certain members' concerns, the OIQ pursued its discussions with the different parties and, has now determined that it may now withdraw from these plans, without prejudice to members.
In fact, you only need to be a member of Genium360 (previously known as the Réseau des ingénieurs du Québec or Réseau IQ) to have access to the term life insurance and disability insurance plans sponsored by Engineers Canada and offered by Manulife.
Engineers Canada’s decision to include Genium (an organization not covered by the Act respecting Prescription Drug Insurance) among the organizations that have access to the various Manulife plans made this recent development possible.
3. How do I ensure that my existing coverage is maintained in force?
To ensure that your existing term life and disability insurance coverage remains in force, you should make sure that you are a member in good standing of Genium360. To become a member of Genium360, go to https://www.genium360.ca/en-us/user/register/. Registration is free. If you have questions about your Genium360 membership status, we encourage you to write to its customer service department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition, if you currently have coverage under a Life Plan which includes MAP coverage, under a Health & Dental Plan, or under a Disability Plan, you will receive a notice from Manulife 30 days before the anniversary dates of your coverage explaining the nature of the changes to the eligibility requirements as they relate to OIQ and Genium 360. Such a notice is required under the provisions of the Act respecting Prescription Drug Insurance. For all information concerning your coverage, we encourage you to call Manulife’s customer service at 1 877 598-2273 or write to email@example.com.
4. Will the conditions of my insurance coverage change (coverage, policy number)?
There will be no changes to your insurance coverage.
For all information concerning your insurance coverage, we encourage you to call Manulife’s customer service at 1 877 598-2273 or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Can OIQ members now register for the public plan of the Régie de l’assurance médicament du Québec (RAMQ)?
The OIQ’s withdrawal from the health (prescription drug) insurance plan will take effect on August 31, 2018, which is the anniversary date of this plan’s contract.
- In the period leading up to and including August 31, 2018, if you cannot take out the prescription drug insurance offered by your employer, your spouse’s employer, or an association or organization that you are a member of – such as the Montreal Chapter of the Québec Association of Professionals in Project Management (PMI)–, you must continue to participate in the health insurance plan sponsored by Engineers Canada and offered by Manulife.
- Starting on September 1, 2018, OIQ membership will not obligate members to participate in a specific private prescription drug insurance plan. However, to comply with the Act respecting Prescription Drug Insurance, OIQ members who will not have access to any private plan will need to register for the RAMQ public plan according to the terms and conditions described on the RAMQ’s site.
6. Will Genium continue to offer the same insurance plans as previously?
Genium will continue to offer the same insurance plans through Manulife, with the exception of the RAMQ Compliant Drug Only and the Extended Health plans. You simply need to be a member of Genium360 to participate in them.
We invite you to contact Manulife’s customer service (at 1 877 598-2273 or by e-mail at email@example.com) for more information.
I contacted the insurer’s customer service but was unable to obtain answers to my questions. Can the OIQ help me obtain them?
We invite you to e-mail us the details of your situation at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond as soon as possible. If your concern is better answered by the insurer (Manulife), we will forward your message and a Manulife representative will contact you directly within 24 hours.