Professional Orders shall not issue permits except to persons whose knowledge of the official language is appropriate to the practice of their profession (Charter of the French Language, Section. 35).
To practice the Engineering profession in Québec, Engineers must demonstrate appropriate knowledge of the French language. In accordance with the Charter of the French Language, l’Ordre must verify the French language skills of each future Engineer. Knowledge of French is deemed appropriate if the Engineer meets one of the following conditions:
• received at least three years of full-time secondary or post-secondary instruction provided in French; ***
• successfully passed the fourth or fifth year secondary level examinations in French as the first language;
• starting from the 1985-86 school year, has obtained a secondary school certificate in Québec.
***Please note that the credits obtained for research and thesis writing are not accepted.
In all other cases, appropriate knowledge of the French language is evaluated by an examination given by l’Office québécois de la langue française. This examination is for all persons who wish to obtain a permit from any professional order regulated by the Québec Professional Code.
In order to meet the language requirements to obtain the permit, the Junior Engineer must:
• In the first two cases, provide transcripts as proof.
• In the third case, provide the Secondary V diploma, issued by the Ministère de l'Éducation et de l'Enseignement supérieur.
• In all other cases, provide an attestation that he or she has successfully passed the examination given by l’Office québécois de la langue française (OQLF).
If you are not sure if your diploma meets with the language requirements, please contact us at 514 845-6141, extension 2398 or by email at email@example.com
If the only remaining condition to obtain the Engineers’ permit is proof of knowledge of the French language, l’Ordre may, under certain conditions, issue a temporary permit.
The OIQ may issue a temporary permit valid for one year to individuals who have obtained their diploma outside Québec and who are declared qualified to practise their profession but who have not been able to demonstrate the required level of French fluency. (Charter of the French Language, article 37).
For further information, please refer to the Temporary Permits section, under article 37 of the Charter of the French Language.
|Please note that the Office de la langue française department which handles French evaluations for professional orders will move on August 21, 2018 to the following address:|
125 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, Québec H2X 1X4
In addition, please note that there will be no examination sessions from August 16 to 22.