Type of examination
The professional examination is not a technical examination. Its purpose is rather to verify knowledge of:
- Quebec’s legislation respecting the professions;
- Professional practice principles, ethical and professional conduct concepts and other professional requirements,
- Basic legal aspects that are considered essential to practice the profession.
Terms and conditions of the examination
- Duration: three hours
- Format: 110 multiple-choice questions about:
- Quebec’s professional system (Part 1)
- Practice of the engineering profession (Part 2)
- The legal environment (Part 3)
- Languages: The examination can be taken in French or English.
- Documentation: No documentation is allowed.
To pass the examination, you need to score at least 60% on each of the three parts. You will have to retake the entire examination if you fail one of the three parts.
Note that you will have to pay the cost of the examination again when you retake the examination. See the fee schedule to find out how much it costs to retake the examination.
Results are usually mailed 4 to 6 weeks after the examination.
Options if you fail
As stipulated in section 44 of the Regulation respecting other terms and conditions for the issuance of permits by the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec, junior engineers who fail the examination may apply to the examination director to have the corrections reviewed, provided they assume the related costs, as specified in the fee schedule in force. Correction review requests should be sent by email to email@example.com.
For more information, call the professional examination officer at 514 845-6141 or 1 800 461-6141, extension 2398, or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.